Tag Archives: benchmark

SuperLU vs Direct Substructuring

The eigenproblem solver in my master's thesis used SuperLU, a direct solver for the solution of systems of linear equations (SLE) Ax = b. For the largest test problems, the eigensolver ran out of memory when decomposing the matrix A which is why I replaced SuperLU with direct substructuring in an attempt to reduce memory consumption. For this blog post, I measured set-up time, solve time, and memory consumption of SuperLU and direct substructuring with real symmetric positive definite real-world matrices for SLEs with a variable number of right-hand sides, I will highlight that SuperLU was deployed with a suboptimal parameter choice, and why the memory consumption of the decomposition of A is the wrong objective function when you want to avoid running out of memory.

Continue reading SuperLU vs Direct Substructuring

Performance and Accuracy of xPTEQR

xPTEQR is a LAPACK function for the computation of the  eigendecomposition of a symmetric positive definite tridiagonal matrix. I compare the performance and accuracy of xPTEQR to the other symmetric eigensolvers in LAPACK 3.5.0.

In layman’s terms, there are several algorithms available on a computer that calculate the eigenvectors and eigenvalues of matrices with special properties (symmetric, positive definite, tridiagonal). xPTEQR is the name of the computer implementation of one of those algorithms and I am not aware of any measurements with it. In this blog post I compare xPTEQR in terms of speed and accuracy to other good algorithms. In the figures below, xPTEQR can be found under the label "SVD" (xPTEQR is the name of the implementation, SVD is the algorithm). Moreover, in every figure it holds that lower is better.

Continue reading Performance and Accuracy of xPTEQR